Welcome to my online portfolio, the complement/substitute for my resume. The opinions included herein are my own and do not reflect those of any client or employer, past or present. Please check out the new site: http://danieljohnsonjr.com

Monday, February 18, 2008

Finding Tables for Employee Census Report

This is one of the posts where I describe the more technical aspects of a project I've been working on. The contents here are meant mainly to trigger my own memory when needed in the future.

The HR department has requested a census report so that the company can shop around for benefits with other vendors. In typical fashion, the information needs to be laid out in such a way that none of the "canned" reports from the business system will suffice.

I know where to get the demographic information (employee ID, client ID, city, state, zip, salary, etc.), but this is the first time I've had to track down information such as premium rates, employer contribution, employee contribution, and coverage tier.

I sat with the HR director to find out where she's able to see this information. Back at my desk, I launched a SQL Server Profiler Trace, filtering to my login ID and session ID. Then I navigated to those same screens to help identify which objects in SQL Server I need to look at.

From there I've been able to target the specific tables I need for my SQL scripts.

-----
Check out my other blogs:
Journey Inside My Mind Blog
Journey Inside My Mind Podcast
Get That Job!
QuotesBlog
Twitter.com/danieljohnsonjr

Related tags:

No comments: