I've been thinking about wikis lately, and these two videos have strengthened my interest in them:
Wikis in Plain English
WetPaint in Plain English
I've been thinking about the New Media Cincinnati community a lot lately, especially with respect to some things related to planning meetups. I've been getting a lot of suggestions via email (danieljohnsonjr at newmediacincinnati dot com), Twitter (@newmediacincy and @danieljohnsonjr), IM, Facebook discussion threads, etc. I keep wondering if using a wiki would be an easier and more efficient way.
So I asked the folks who follow me on Twitter, "Are you using wikis in your work/personal life? If so, how so?"
Here are some replies:
- claynewton @danieljohnsonjr I use wikis for work to manage deliverables and specs; in my personal life I use them to build knowledge w likeminded folks
- JeremyLuebke @danieljohnsonjr Recording of tech / design work fro websites
- davesnyder @danieljohnsonjr i use a wiki to store all of my optimization and social media strategies for my site. It is viewable by the company
- clq @danieljohnsonjr I have a personal wiki hosted on godaddy with notes, important usernames I hardly ever use, and anything else I think of.
- winemedineme @danieljohnsonjr my production department uses a wiki for templates.
- SuzyMiller @danieljohnsonjr Planning to use a wiki to develop sustainability policy for my small business.....
- writegirl @danieljohnsonjr I use wikis for both volunteer groups I'm involved in. It's better than exchanging 1000 emails back and forth.
- annezieger @danieljohnsonjr my company uses a wiki to share information not only among coroprates, but subsidiaries too
mjenkins We use a Wiki for the online staff at the Enquirer for storing and updating our production processes and best practices. It's helpful.
I asked if I could use her message in this post, and she replied:
mjenkins Sure, go right ahead. We are looking to expand the use of our Wiki across all departments (ads, HR, etc.) soon.
I also noticed some buzz on Twitter via Tweetscan related to wikis and shared that:
danieljohnsonjr Tweetscan twitter buzz about wikis: http://tinyurl.com/5koupw
After all these responses, I asked: "Related wiki question (thx for your help so far): which sites are you using to create/manage your wikis?" Here are a couple of the responses:
- clq @danieljohnsonjr Creating a wikimedia one on any server that supports databases is really easy. I use my own space on Godaddy, Works fine.
- sharemefg @danieljohnsonjr I have used tiddlyspot to manage my tiddlywiki hosting however since tiddlywiki has no server stuff could use googlepages
newmediacincy How might @newmediacincy use wikis?
|danieljohnsonjr @newmediacincy Suggestions for meetup times/locations?|
|SteveGerl @newmediacincy: Contests where people have to post something, perhaps?|
Should we put together a wiki for New Media Cincinnati? Feel free to continue the conversation in the comments below.
Check out my other blogs:
Journey Inside My Mind Blog
Journey Inside My Mind Podcast
Get That Job!
Related tags: daniel+johnson+jr wikis twitter new+media+cincinnati